Oriented Strand Board (OSB)
Oriented Strand Board OSB (OSB-3)
Current sizes available: 2 440 x 1 220 x 9 mm
August 2021: 2 500 x 1 250 x 9 mm
Oriented strand board, also known as OSB, is an engineered wood product formed by layering strands (flakes) of wood in specific orientations.
It is manufactured in wide mats from cross-oriented layers of thin, rectangular wooden strips compressed and bonded together with wax and resin adhesives (95% wood, 5% wax and resin).
Each layer is laid perpendicular to the previous in order to maximise the strength of the finished product. Once the desired thickness has been achieved, the strands are heated and pressed together to result in a board that is strong, thin, durable and flexible.
The mat is placed in a thermal press to compress the flakes and bond them by heat activation and curing of the resin that has been coated on the flakes. Individual panels are then cut from the mats into finished sizes
When made from timber scraps or recycled wood, OSB is more environmentally friendly than plywood. Even when made from harvested timber, OSB tends to be the more environmentally friendly option. This is due to the small strips of wood it requires; young, fast growing timbers can be used, including pine and even bamboo.
Technical Parameters of OSB
|Property||Standard value for 6-10 mm thick boards (nominal)||Standard value for 11-17 mm thick boards (nominal)||Standard value for 18-25 mm thick boards (nominal)||Standard value for 26-31 mm thick boards (nominal)||Standard value for 32-40 mm thick boards (nominal)|
|MOR, Major Axis, MPa, min.||22||20||18||16||14|
|MOR, Minor Axis, MPa, min.||11||10||9||8||7|
|MOE, Major Axis, MPa, min.||3500||3500||3500||3500||3500|
|MOE, Major Axis, MPa, min.||1400||1400||1400||1400||1400|
|Tensile strength perpendicular to the board’s surface, MPa, min.||0,34||0,32||0,30||0,29||0,26|
|Thickness swelling/24hr., min.||15||15||15||15||15|
- sheathing of interior and exterior walls. OSB panels can be used with all types of interior and exterior finishing materials
- I-joists – supporting floor and wall structures in timber houses.
- Manufacturing of SIP panels consisting of two outer OSB layers and a core polystyrene foam layer
- removable formwork for concrete works (multi-use formwork), concrete platforms. Sanded and overlayed OSB panels can be used repeatedly as a concrete formwork
- subfloor, floor repair. OSB can be used both as continuous flooring and load bearing joists
- single floor – in light structures OSB panel can be used directly as flooring
- furniture –frames of upholstered furniture, chairs, cabinet furniture, home built-in furniture (coat closets, shelving units, wall wardrobes)
- stairs, landings, scaffoldings
- temporary construction site fencing, coverings for structural openings (windows, doors)
- shipping crates and pallets, shelving units, exhibition stands, furniture shelves, shop counters, table tops, bill boards;
OSB Quality Features:
- High bending strength, high elasticity
- Smooth and solid surface
- Resistance to damage and deformation in service conditions (warping, checking, delamination)
- Easy cutting, processing and usage
- High fasteners withdrawal resistance
- High sound insulation (sound absorption) performance
- Low thermal conductivity
- High abrasion resistance
- Uniform structure
- Light weight, convenient size, wide product rage
- Easy transportation
- Suitable for humid conditions